BCMB Diversity statement
(approved by Faculty vote, March 2020)
Diversity and inclusion are values shared amongst BCMB faculty, staff and students. These values enhance the research, scholarship, teaching and service endeavors of the department and are integral to the mission of the department to serve all of its stakeholders. We recognize and value diversity in its myriad forms, including ability status, age, ethnicity, family structure, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion and spirituality, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and veteran status.
The BCMB department is committed to advancing and maintaining a collegial academic environment that is inclusive and welcoming of all. Our goals are:
- Create and sustain a welcoming, supportive, and inclusive departmental climate.
- Attract and retain greater numbers of individuals from under-represented populations into faculty, staff, and administrative positions.
- Attract, retain, and graduate increasing numbers of students from historically under-represented populations and international students.
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with diverse communities in Tennessee and globally.
- Prepare graduate students to become teachers, researchers, and industry leaders in a diverse world.
- Ensure that departmental curricular requirements include significant intercultural perspectives that span ethical and societal perspectives on diversity and inclusion.
BCMB Diversity Advisory Council
The charges of the council are advisory to the head and the faculty and include the followings:
- Conduct and review diversity and inclusion-climate surveys directed at faculty, staff, students in the department- prepare an annual report to the Head (Spring semester).
- Identify hurdles, and solutions to issues concerning students from underrepresented groups that will enable their voices to be heard.
- Suggest initiatives the department should be engaging with in order to increase and sustain an inclusive climate that welcomes all.
- Track diversity and inclusion-related events conducted within the department and/or at the initiative of faculty, staff or graduate students.
- Coordinate messaging and broadcasting of diversity- and inclusion-related events within the department through social media (interaction with social media ambassadors).
The BCMB Department is interested in hearing general thoughts about the diversity-related climate and environment in the department.
- Bias Education and Referral
- Center for International Education
- Chancellor’s Commission for Blacks
- Chancellor’s Commission for Women
- Chancellor’s Commission for LGBT People
- Disability Careers Office
- International House
- Office of Disability Services
- Office of Equity and Diversity
- Office of Multicultural Student Life
- Office of the Vice Chancellor for Diversity
- OUTreach: LGBT & Ally Resource Center
- Safe Zone LGBT Ally Network
- Beck Cultural Exchange Center
- Knoxville Convention and Visitors Bureau
- City of Knoxville Demographics
- Black Mamas Bailout
- City Council Movement
- SONG (working for People of Color in the LGBTQ+ community)
- Highlander Center
- For learning: “Black in Appalachia” podcast
- For action: The Women, LLC of Knoxville