Dr. Hong Guo
- Course requirements for admission. The requirements are specified in the Graduate Catalog and are summarized as follows:
- One year of general biology or the equivalent, a minimum of 8 credit hours beyond introductory biology (biochemistry, chemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, and physiology)
- General and organic chemistry (with laboratories)
- One year of calculus
- One year of physics
- At least one semester of biochemistry
- Grades. U.S. Degree holders must have earned a 2.7 out of a possible 4.0 GPA or a minimum of 3.0 during the senior year of undergraduate study. Foreign degree holders must have earned a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or other equivalent to a ‘B’ average.
- GRE general Test.
- TOEFL. International applicants must submit official TOEFL scores to the UT Graduate School as part of the application. To be fully admitted, applicants must submit a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL; 213 for computer based TOEFL; 80 on the TOEFL iBT. A minimum score of 6.5 for the IELTS is required for consideration.
Priority consideration for Fall 2018 will be given to applications received by January 20, 2018.
- Official Graduate School Application. You must apply online via the Graduate School’s website. If you need a paper copy of the application, please contact UT Graduate Admissions. Once you have completed the application, you must also submit:
- One copy of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- GRE scores
- Non-Refundable $60 application fee.
- An assay describing your research experience, career goal and the reasons why you would like to pursue graduate degrees at BCMB, UTK.
- Letters of recommendation. Applicants need to arrange for three (3) letters of recommendation, including the names and email addresses of the persons that are writing the letters. We no longer require the recommendation letters to be submitted to us by mail; after completing your application, your references may submit their letters online, directly to the graduate school.
Other related Information
Financial support. All accepted students receive financial support, either in the form of a graduate teaching assistantship (GTA) or graduate research assistantship (GRA). The department also provides tuition and health insurance.